Liverpool Office OPEN HOUSE


Due to expected weather conditions, our Liverpool Open House has been postponed until a further date.

Stay Tuned...


Tax tips for Seniors

Article Source: CRA > Enjoy your golden years with these tax credits and benefits

January 17, 2017

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) wants seniors to get the tax credits, deductions, and benefits they are eligible for.

Here are 11 of the most common credits and benefits for seniors.

1. Pension income splitting –If you receive a pension, you may be eligible to split up to 50% of your eligible pension income with your spouse or common-law partner.

2. Guaranteed income supplement – If you receive the guaranteed income supplement or allowance benefits under the old age security program, you can renew your benefit by filing your return by the filing deadline.

3. Registered retirement savings plan (RRSP) – Deductible RRSP contributions can reduce your tax bill. You have until December 31 of the year in which you turn 71 to contribute to your RRSP.

4. Registered disability savings plan (RDSP) – This savings plan can help families save for the financial security of a person who is eligible for the disability tax credit. RDSP contributions are not tax deductible and can be made until the end of the year in which the beneficiary turns 59.

Read More

Reporting the sale of your principal residence for individuals (other than trusts)

Article Source: Canada Revenue Agency: Federal Government Budgets 2016

January 10, 2017

On October 3, 2016, the Government announced an administrative change to Canada Revenue Agency's reporting requirements for the sale of a principal residence.

When you sell your principal residence or when you are considered to have sold it, usually you do not have to report the sale on your income tax and benefit return and you do not have to pay tax on any gain from the sale. This is the case if you are eligible for the full income tax exemption (principal residence exemption) because the property was your principal residence for every year you owned it.

Starting with the 2016 tax year, generally due by late April 2017, you will be required to report basic information (date of acquisition, proceeds of disposition and description of the property) on your income tax and benefit return when you sell your principal residence to claim the full principal residence exemption.

For additional information and answers to some FAQs regarding this change visit: CRA: Reporting the sale of your principal residence for individuals

CRA newsletter > Businesses- Tax information, Issue: 2016-03

Article Source:  CRA> Business - Tax Information Newsletter Issue: 2016-03

December 12, 2016

1- Compliance letter campaign - Message to GST/HST registrants

In December 2016, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will conduct a GST/HST compliance letter campaign pilot project. The CRA will send 250 letters in December followed by 250 in February, 2,500 in May, and 2,500 in August to GST/HST registrants. Those receiving a letter will be asked to review a previously-submitted GST/HST return with suspected errors and confirm whether the amounts they reported are correct or need to be changed.

The campaign supports the CRA's increased emphasis on helping individuals and small businesses to better understand their tax obligations and encourages them to correct any errors in their past GST/HST returns. This increased understanding of tax obligations will also serve in promoting compliance going forward.

2- 2017 Indexation adjustment for personal income tax and benefit amounts are now available

Each year, certain personal income tax and benefit amounts are indexed to inflation using the Consumer Price Index data as reported by Statistics Canada. The chart provides the indexed amounts for four tax years.

3- Does your business have tax debt? Don’t panic. You have options.

Does your business owe taxes to the CRA? Ignoring your tax debt isn’t the best strategy. Avoiding payment could result in financial and legal consequences for you and your business. Instead of avoiding a payment, check out the video “Keeping Your Business on Track” to find a better option.

4- Businesses take notice: Your tax information just got clearer!

The CRA is redesigning the correspondence it sends to Canadians, including the Corporation, and Goods and services tax/ harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) notices of assessment (NOA) and notices of reassessment (NOR). The CRA has made changes to how the notices are structured, designed, formatted, and written, making the information easier to read and understand.

EVENT: Desserts and Drinks Social


Join us Wednesday, October 26th from 6:30-8:30 pm at The Middle Spoon Dessert Bar (Sunnyside Mall 1595 Bedford Hwy, Bedford).

We hope to see you there.

Please RSVP Ann-Marie at 902-444-4278 or by email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

Dessert Social Invitation Oct 26 2016 1

8 Things Students Need to Know at Tax Time

Article Source: Canada Revenue Agency Newsroom  September 15, 2016

Students: make sure you claim the tax credits, deductions, and benefits you are eligible for when you file your income tax and benefit return. Even if you have little or no income, you should still file your income tax return to get them.

Here are some tips to help you do your taxes:

1. Remember to collect all T4s from all jobs, and be sure to report them on your tax return. This is to make sure you get the correct refund amount.

2. Know what you are eligible for in advance. As a student, there are many things you may be able to claim, including your:

- Tuition fees

- Education amount

- Textbook amount

- Interest paid on your student loans

- Public transit amount

- Eligible moving expenses

- GST/HST credit; and

- Your child care expenses.

Read More

We're Hiring!

Stop by our CAREERS page to check out our current openings for our Halifax and Bridgewater offices.

Do you have children? The new Canada child benefit may affect your family

Published on the Canada Revenue Agency website: May 30, 2016

Canada Revenue Agency Newsroom: Tax tips

Budget 2016 gives Canadian families more money to help with the high cost of raising their children, by replacing the current child benefit system with the new Canada Child Benefit*. The introduction of the Canada Child Benefit represents the most significant social policy innovation in a generation.

You will see changes to your child benefits starting in July 2016. Below you’ll find some information to help you understand these changes.

What is the Canada Child Benefit (CCB)?

The Canada child benefit is a monthly tax-free payment for families with children under the age of 18. It will replace the Canada child tax benefit (CCTB), national child benefit supplement (NCBS), and the universal child care benefit (UCCB).

Who can receive the CCB?

If you have children under 18 you are most likely eligible to receive the CCB.

Do you need to apply to get the CCB?

If you already received the CCTB or UCCB, you don’t need to apply. However, both you and your partner must file your 2015 tax return.

To continue reading the complete article on the Canada Revenue Agency website, click here.

Congratulations April

small aprilApril Dedrick, CPA, CA

We would like to congratulate April for recently attaining her CPA, CA designation.

April has shown great initiative and dedication to obtain her certification and we are proud to celebrate this milestone with her.

Congratulations April.

Introducing our newest Partner, Michelle Amos-CPA, CA

small Michelle 2We are pleased to announce that as of January 1, 2016, Michelle Amos, CPA, CA has become our newest Partner.

Michelle joined Belliveau Veinotte in 2007 and has truly demonstrated that she has the skills to be a leader with our firm. Her dedication to the firm and our clients has been apparent since day one.

Michelle is well versed in all areas of public accounting and specializes in audit and assurance.

Congratulations Michelle.



Suite 204, 620 Nine Mile Drive, Bedford, NS


4171 Highway 3, Chester NS


11 Dominion Street, Bridgewater NS


7B Henry Hensey Dr., Liverpool NS


167 Water Street, Shelburne NS

Barrington Passage

3289 Highway 3, Barrington Passage NS